So the plan is slightly off because Jeeps ended up cooking last night and making Chinese stir fry. So it’s Day 4 but I only made 3 of the planned meals. The rice salad I had planned for yesterday was made tonight. It’s all good.
Another Martha Stewart Clip, this salad is made with brown and wild rices, and a medley of vegetables. With beans added it can be the main dish. And in line with our lettuce cup craze lately, it would work rolled up, too.
I served it tonight with tuna cakes, which Pandagirl alluded to in a culinary conversation with her friends. Really they are made exactly like meatballs, but using tuna instead of ground meat. If I have Starkist Tuna Creations, I’ll use two pouches. I had one pouch tonight and supplemented with one can of solid white tuna. Breadcrumbs, minced onion, chopped parsley, a little parmesan, an egg or even mayonnaise to bind it all. Form into patties and fry in olive oil until golden brown. Done.
Wild Rice Salad
- 1 1/2 cups cooked wild rice, made according to package directions
- 3 cups cooked brown rice, made according to package directions
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1/2 seedless cucumber, quartered and sliced
- 6 oz red cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Place all ingredients in bowl and toss well with any vinaigrette of choice.
[Editor’s Note – Rolling Rock pony not included.]